Kyle Rittenhouse, the man who shot three people amid the racial reckoning of summer 2020, is being sued by the estate of one of the men who died.
“I’m being sued again for defending my life,“ Rittenhouse posted on Aug. 25. The news came on the third anniversary of the incident that occurred during the civil unrest following the shooting of Jacob Blake — a Black man who was struck multiple times in the back by police in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The incident left Blake paralyzed.
The story of Rittenhouse’s actions propelled him into mainstream media and solidified him as a glorified figure for right-wing pundits. He also gained the support of former President Donald Trump.
Related: ‘These Deaths Are on Your Hands!’: Florida Gov. DeSantis Heckled at Vigil for Victims of Jacksonville Dollar General White Supremacist Shooter
Rittenhouse’s post included an article that said the estate of Joseph Rosenbaum was not only pursuing legal action against him but also the city of Kenosha, as well as other entities, for his “wrongful death,” according to the report. The lawsuit, filed on Aug. 25, the three-year anniversary of the slaying, is seeking “compensatory and punitive damages” in this case.
Rittenhouse, then 17, shot and killed Rosenbaum as well as 26-year-old Anthony Huber with an assault-style rifle. A third man, 27-year-old Gaige Grosskreutz, was wounded during the incident. During his 2021 trial, Rittenhouse was cleared on all counts after arguing that he acted in self-defense.
Earlier this year, Huber’s father won a court ruling allowing him to continue his lawsuit against Rittenhouse, which prompted him to start raising money on social media.
“These lawsuits are making it harder and harder for me to move on with my life,” Rittenhouse said in a recent interview with Texas Scorecard. “It is extremely difficult to go outside without fear of being harassed or assaulted because of the lies spread in these lawsuits. No one should have to continue to defend the fact that they acted in self-defense.”
There were mixed reactions to Rittenhouse’s post, with some of his supporters stating that they are standing with him. Others pressed him, saying it’s the consequences of his actions.
Another posted: “Sorry NOT sorry. You should have minded your own business.”
Last week, the family of Blake also filed a federal lawsuit against Kenosha and its officials, including the officers who were involved in his shooting, WISN reported.
READ MORE HERE.